Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shreveport Saga: King Cake




King Cakes are the thing going for Mardi Gras. These cakes basically look like a coffee cake with colored sugar on the top. Some places use a recipe that is more like a bread and some make it like a cake. I was at Julie Anne's where Gary Galle took us in the kitchen to view the process. I loved there's due to the cake itself and the cream cheese frosting inside and on top. All King Cakes have a small plastic baby hidden. The person who gets the slice with the baby has to buy the next cake...so long as they haven't choked on it and left the earth. The origin of this is that the baby represented baby Jesus. However, I haven't heard anyone yell, "Jesus Christ. I think I might have swollowed the baby!" Actually, the cake was so good that the person who found the baby licked every morsel from it.

Julie Anne's Bakery and Cafe is located at825 Kings Hway in Shreveport. I hear that you can order their cakes and have them sent to you. 318-424-4995

No comments:

Post a Comment