Sunday, October 3, 2010

QUAD CITIES EVEN MORE!


















Next day's itinerary began with a visit to the Country Corner Farm Market and Pumpkin Patch in Alpha, Illinois. Aside from their market of fresh corn and pumpkins, they also sell locally made or grown products as well. Take a horse drawn hayrack ride, pick pumpkins and stop at the petting zoo. Alpacas, chickens, pigs, goats, and miniature cattle. Ask owner Bruce Curry about the various types of corn like the kind you eat, ones fed to the animals, one that pops right on the cob and ones just for fall decoration. Country Corner is open from May to October, so I'm happy that I got there in September.



They sell the popping corn as a package in a brown paper bag with instructions for use in you microwave oven. Option is to pick off kernels and pop in a pot.

Exotic Thai was our lunch spot. I ordered an iced Thai coffee not just for the taste but also if the need to cool my mouth came into play. With too many starters to choose from I opted for the Siam Sampler: Marinated chicken skewers wit peanut sauce and cucumber dip; Seasoned shrimp wrapped in fine noodles and crisp fried served with a dipping sauce; Crispy Thai rolls stuffed with glass noodles and veggies served with a tangy plum sauce; Fried chicken wing stuffed with a mix of ground chicken, glass noodles, Thai spices, served with a sweet and sour sauce.

In spite of my not being drawn to the spicy side, I ordered the classic Tom Yom soup. Once I got used to the chili hitting the back of my throat, rather than my whole mouth, the lemongrass soup with chicken and straw mushrooms was Tom Yum.

I'm one to stick to Pad Thai, but decided on a different noodle dish, Pad See U. Stir fried flat rice noodles with broccoli and egg in a sweet black bean sauce.

Esther had the Asparagus Salad of asparagus, chicken breast, shrimp, roasted shredded coconut served with a Thai-style dressing.

Dessert was a banana crepe with coconut ice cream plated with raisins and cashew nuts and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment