Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DAYS OF McALLEN













Arriving in McAllen we had pizza and fried stuffed olives at Mamma Mia's before checking into the Drury Suites. There were two rooms. One was the bedroom, of course, and the other room had the living area and full kitchen, although there wasn't much of an opportunity for me to use it considering the free hot breakfast buffet and manager's early evening nosh. Use of the internet was in the lobby area, free one hour long distance phone calls, and guest laundry...but not free. I liked that there was a separated area of lounging in case you wanted to meet with someone and the buffet area with tables and a large tv screen. Drury certainly isn't dreary.

Rather than the "breakfast food", I went to El Pato and indulged in a more Mexican style breakfast of a fresh torilla with scrambled eggs and salsa. What I didn't indulge in was the condiment buffet...too spicy hot for me. I got that the owner started by making the tortillas and then winding up opening a few of these quality fast food restaurants. I'd call it a more upscale version of Taco Bell.

McAllen Creative Incubator was next on the list. Greg Schuller took us on a quick tour of what was a former public school and now housing studio rooms for artists or whoever wishes to rent a space. There is a stage and open area for those wanting to perform or present there wares to the public. Unfortunately there were no artists present for me to interview.

It was off to shopping near Progreso close to the Mexican border. It would have been great if I wanted pottery, art and items for the outside of my home in one of the outlets. I did wind up getting bottles of vanilla extract. Competition from across the street offering free refreshments...only soda, though. That was okay because the focus was more on jewelry. Just a necklace needed. Then got a quick look at the Mexican border.

Lunch was at a BBQ fast food called Bad Bob's. It wasn't that the food was bad, but just couldn't compare the Uncle Dan's BBQ in Waco. Funny that Esther and Eunice thought the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment