Tuesday, February 8, 2011

JETBLUEING TO FORT LAUDERDALE



















Getting away from the snow of NYC I "Jetblued" to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Due to the weather we were first delayed by their having to plow one of the runways as we waiting in the plane just outside the gate. When we finally got the "go" we then learned that we were number 25 as we got the runway area. I was amused watching the people around me on the plane. Matthew was one of the attendants. It was more as if her were a kindergarten teacher in front of a class. What do you do while waiting at the gate? Go to the bathroom. It's the best excuse to stretch your feet. What do you do while waiting on the tarmac? I guess everyone who didn't go to the bathroom did so then, including myself. We're talking about 45 minutes of delay between the two hanging outs.

Murray and Alice were sitting next to me. Alice was hard of hearing and passing the time doing a Times crossword puzzle. She was also old and frail. At certain points during the flight Alice would say something to Murray. Murray would say, "Alice I can't hear you" and Alice would try again to which Murray would say, "Alice I can't hear what you're saying; don't talk to me."

Arriving in Fort Lauderdale I was able to get a "share a ride" to the Riverside Hotel, where I would be staying for three nights. The cost was $11.

The front of the hotel faced the river and the back was on E. Las Olas Blvd., the place to be. My room has a terrace of which I could see E. Las Olas on the left and the river on the right (as apposed to a bathroom...as in..."there's a bathroom on the right" (There's a bad moon on the rise). I stayed in the portion of the hotel known as the "tower", which was later built onto this old hotel.

The first thing that I wanted to explore were two Italian bakeries on Las Olas. Gran Forno was just down the block to the right of the hotel. Gran Forno's cafe was what I encountered. I met the owners as we talked about the well-known pizzas. They are made with a thin crust and baked in a clay oven for all of two-minutes. Just like I got in Naples, Italy. It's a limited menu and authentically Italian with soups, sandwiches and even lasagne. I got to sample the store made ice cream as well that is more towards a custard than gelato. Cappuccinos are served in a martini glass with a three layer look. Tables and chairs are mostly outside to give it more of a bistro look. If I were to walk a few blocks I would have seen their bakery where I might have sampled some pastries and bread.

Lots of boutique stores in this strip. I stopped into one called Kirwin's that had chocolates and ice cream. Ice cream was okay but not better than the ice cream at Gran Forno.

I was really after gelato and there was Pan'e Dolci directly across the street from the hotel. Now, that was the real thing! I tasted the kiwi gelato! Could have been eating fresh kiwis and the consistency was perfect. I met owner Roberto Pacella and got a tour of the kitchen where the gelato is prepared. I then got to watch them scooping the tiramisu gelato from the machine. It truly tasted as if I had the cake version.

That evening I met up with my friend Linda to see Les Miz at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. There isn't a lousy seat in the house, it's more of stadium seating so that you don't have to ask someone to remove their hair, and enough leg room to allow people to pass without standing. As for the show, it was re-staged for the tour company. Talent was superb and set used background of movie to make it appear that the actors were walking in the town. One of the best touring groups I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment