Monday, October 2, 2017

THE LAUGHTER GOES RIGHT IN THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG




I am so glad that it wasn’t just me that was screaming with laughter last week at Broadway’s Lyceum Theatre.  I was sure that I would end up with a huge headache and no air left in my lungs.   The secret was in not holding anything back.  The Play That Goes Wrong has got to be the most hilarious play that I have ever experienced. 
Originally from London The Play That Goes Wrong is ingeniously written by three of its cast members Henry Lewis, Jonathan Sayer and Henry Shields.  It is both brilliantly and painstakingly directed by Mark Bell.  First, let me explain the whole setup. 
This is a play within a play where the members of the Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society are seriously attempting to perform, The Murder at Haversham Manor, by Susie H.K. Brideswell.   The action takes place the evening of Charles and Florence’s engagement party in the year 1922.  As far as the murder mystery it is opening night when every possible thing will go wrong.
Aside from the main stage, there is a Tech Box where Trevor sits. Situated in an actual box seat area, this is in view of the audience. Littered with empty drink cans and other garbage, it is complete with computer and faders for lighting and sound. 

There are two floors to the manor of which has an elevator.  A pillar extending down to the ground is used as a support beam.  

What you have is a theatre group bent on doing the play no matter what happens or how they have to adlib the faults and still stick to the script. We are talking errors such as incorrect props, this live dog that they cannot find (and will substitute a chain) and parts of the sets falling down throughout their play.  With all plays, those that are not part of the cast or on stage at the moment are trying their utmost to not make it obvious that they are present. 

One running gag is about a bottle of scotch that gets switched for a full plastic bottle labeled White Spirit with a large Flammable symbol on it.   This gets poured many times, drunk, reacted to and spit out…even when the characters already know that it will happen, they continue to follow the script. In fact one person does this following with the line, “That’s the best whiskey I’ve ever tasted.” 

I think I’ve given you enough of an idea on how this play goes wrong.  I certainly don’t want to write about all of the errors that will have you bursting in laughing, chuckling, cackling, giggling and certainly roaring.  The entire cast needs to be applauded not just for their acting but for the physical endurance they go through.  As for me, seeing The Play That Goes Wrong has kept me awake some nights.  I think about the play and burst into laughter.  A few times more, I have to get up to pee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment