Wednesday, April 3, 2019

AIN’T TOO PROUD IS TEMPTATIONAL




                                       Illustration by Kennth Fallin

Stories of stars and groups have become the Broadway craze since the Jersey Boys.  Stories of their lives of both ups and downs are combined with what you would construe as a concert performed by actors rather than the artists themselves.  Ain’t Too Proud is the latest to hit the Broadway stage that follows the history of the Motown Group known as the Temptations that turned out to be and audience catcher.
 
Lights up on a stage with five men dressed in fly suits and smooth moves as the Temptations sing “The Way You Do the Things You Do,” the first hit on the charts.  It’s here that we have Eddie Kendricks (Jeremy Pope), as lead voice, David Ruffin (Ephraim Sykes), Paul Williams (James Harkness), Melvin Franklin (Jawan M. Jackson) and Otis Williams (Derrick Baskin) the men who built The Temptations. It is not mistakable that Melvin is the bass singer.  Otis begins the “story” growing up in Detroit and they sing, “Runaway Child Running Wild.”  


Let me first say that I grew up hearing the songs as I practically Velcro-ed the transistor radio to my ear and uttered every lyric.  I was able to remember which groups sang which songs but that faded away after many years.  Unless it was a group that had a name like Diana Ross and the Supremes, Gladys Knight and the Pips or Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, I wouldn’t be able to tell you the names of any other members. Did I care about any performer’s personal life?  Never. It was all about entertaining me.


Before I give you a rundown on the show itself, I want to share my critique.  I saw the show on a Wednesday afternoon and there wasn’t an open seat unless I missed the ones up in the rafters.  Talent was on the spot in regards to the songs, dance movements and acting.  Having never seen an actual performance of The Temptations, I cannot give a critique as to whether each of the parts that the actors played was spot on with the portrayals. One thing for sure was that the audience was more than reveling in the spectacle. 


A few times when “Diana Ross and the Supremes” made the scene, the leading woman did sound and sing like her….as in the songs, “Baby Love,” “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “Come See About Me.”  However, only a portion of these songs are sung. Huge kudos and much applause to Candice Marie Woods on sounding and somewhat looking like Ross.  


Sets were not a biggy, nor did they really need to be for this show.  They did have moving images in the rear to help portray actors running, etc and where they were at the time.  There was a stage mechanics that made it appear as though the group was in a bus and driving and although there was no helicopter, they did have the back of a red sedan make its way on the stage. 


Back to the story as they become a part of Motown and meet Berry Gordy (Jahi Kearse) and Smokey Robinson (Christian Thompson). As the show continues you take in the group’s ups and downs with who gets fired, who dies, etc.  I felt that the story line was really made for the younger generation that did not grow up hearing this group as well as getting a better sense of why the songs emerged. 


As for all of the songs in Ain’t Too Proud, here they are keeping in mind that some were sung by groups other than The Temptations.  “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” “Baby Love” “Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World is Today)” “Cloud Nine” “Come See About Me” “Don’t Look Back” “For Once in My Life” “Get Ready” “Gloria” “I Can’t Get Next to You” “I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)” “(I Know) I’m Losing You” “I Want a Love I Can See” “I Wish it Would Rain” “If I Could Build My Whole World Around You” “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me” “My Girl” “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” “Runaway Child Running Wild” “Shout” “Since I Lost My Baby” “Speedo” “Superstar (I Remember How You Got Where You Are)” “The Way You Do the Things You Do” “War” “What Becomes of the Brokenhearted” “You Can’t Hurry Love” “You’re My Everything” 


My biggest disappointment at this performance was not with the cast but the audience.  I realize that it was the Isley Brothers who made “Shout” a hit, but it was a feature in the show as sung by The Temptations. Nobody rose for the occasion, I didn’t see hands raising up or anyone yelling, “shout” loudly or softly even when it was encouraged.  This particular song become so popular that whenever or wherever you heard it being sung, you just automatically got ready to participate as if it was a Rabbi telling the congregation to stand for a prayer that indicated when what the participants were expected to recite.


Final number is “What Becomes of the Brokenhearted” that goes into the closing number, “I Can’t Get Next to You” that has the entire cast of Temptations, past and present, as well as all of the men and women. When it comes down to it, Ain’t Too Proud: the life and times of The Temptations is worth experiencing as it will certainly leave you with a feeling of great sound, talent and energy. 

Ken Fallin illustration: L to RDerrick Baskin, Ephraim Sykes, Jeremy Pope, Jawan M. Jackson, and James Harkness

   


No comments:

Post a Comment