Thursday, May 23, 2019

TASTY GRILL EARNS ITS NAME


A Taste of Whitestone sparked my palate with the various cuisines that the May 2 event was offering.  I was quite impressed with the spread that Tasty Grill laid out of Greek appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, fries and even dessert.  As co-owner Nick Condomanolis was setting up I asked him about the quantity of food being much more than a “taste.”  He told me that he wanted everyone to enjoy and hoped there would be none left.  I guess that’s one of the best ways to advertise to the 300 people who showed up. Alexi Varveris is the other owner. 
 
Having to limit the amount of food from the more than 20 vendors, I only grabbed a chicken gyro from Tasty Grill leading me to search out the restaurant, sample much of the menu and have the leftovers to go.  

Entering, I first saw David Rosario slicing off meat from one of three gyros.  Those pleasant food aromas were in the air.  I got the low down about each.  Chicken gyro and pork gyro are prepared on the premises.  Chicken is marinated in salt, pepper, yogurt, mustard, dill and oregano.   Pork gets some cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and olive oil.   The third is one made of beef and lamb that is already marinated.   Aside from the tender and flavorful meat, the sandwich comes with the usual as accompaniments as well as and added French fries.  I chose to simply sample a plate of all three bare that came with their restaurant made tzatziki sauce.  






Continuing into the seating area, I then saw a rotisserie oven that was cooking a number of chickens. As it turns out, they also prepare bbq St. Louis ribs.  You can get a plate with half a chicken and half rack of fall-off-the – bone ribs.  I did and highly enjoyed the few bites of each with the rest “to go.”  

Looking around I noticed that the walls were filled with framed photos and art that depicted Greece, mostly in the area of Cyprus. Walking further, I spotted the outdoor cafe dining area. 










Time to peruse the menu and ask questions.  I like to find out exactly what is in the food, if it is made from scratch in the restaurant , and how it is prepared. 

I don’t request octopus too often because many places tend to serve it “chewy.”  Nick told me that they get the fresh octopus and marinade it in wine and vinegar then oven bake for about two hours.  When ordered, the pieces are then grilled.  Yes, it did come out tender and delectable. 



As I continued to browse the bill of fare, I noticed that there were three different cheeses, two of which are served grilled.  Haloumi cheese – Semi-hard unripened brine cheese made of a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk and sometimes cow’s milk and has a high melting point. Kefalograviera cheese is a hard cheese that can substitute for the Italian Asiago.  The other is the Greek staple of Feta cheese with its crumbly texture. 

Cheese Pie is one of the starters on the menu.  It contains feta, Kefalograviera, cream cheese, and ricotta cheese.  The pie crust alone is rich and flaky. With the combination of cheeses, I would call this the utmost flavorful substitute for mac and cheese.  Excellent for breakfast and served in two large triangles.  One of many sharing ideas of which would go great with one of their salads or one that you can choose your own ingredients.  

Spinach Pie is another Greek staple and had to indulge. This is made with both the spinach and feta cheese on the inside, baked in that thin crispy phyllo dough, topping it off with crumbled feta cheese. 
Tasty Grill may want to compete in the next Chicken Soup Cookoff with their Avgolemono soup made with their own chicken broth, celery, onions, carrots, lemon juice, eggs and pieces of chicken. 
“Do you want fries with that?”  How about a Greek version that are lightly beer battered and topped with oregano and crumbled feta?   






Chicken wings are always a good seller, especially when they are meaty and savory.  I had to try them in a sweet bbq sauce as I didn’t want anything too peppery.  Thumbs up on this.



There were other items that I passed up, such as burgers, skirt steak, sweet potato fries and grilled veggies.  Oh well, there’s always another time.  

Four desserts were available: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheese Cake; Manhattan Truffle (ice cream based with cherries in the middle, cookies bottom, surrounded by hard shelled chocolate); Amaretto Truffle (ice cream based and covered with nuts); and Baklava. Although I love nuts, they don’t appear to love me.  However, I did indulge in the portion that had the phyllo dough and honey.  Buttery, flaky and not overly sweet.  






Georgia Savva, had been serving me throughout this tantalizing adventure.  She is also the barista and asked if I wanted coffee.  I requested a cappuccino. When asked if I wanted sugar in it I said, “On no, I’m on a diet.”  She did laugh and did have a bit of sugar in it.   It was a perfectly executed cappuccino.   I so love the aroma and taste of coffee, but alas…I know that it doesn’t love me.  Doesn’t matter when I have it, caf or decaf, I think it might be the acid.  I keep a bag of ground coffee in the house just so I can open and waft it. 



Now, here’s the 101.  Tasty Grill is located at 14-22 150th Street.  Tel: 718-767-7200.  Open Mon – Sunday from 11:30 am to 9:00 pm.  Street Parking and Wheelchair accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment