Friday, July 15, 2011

HERE'S ANOTHER ONE

I gather that at some point between my birth and now that they have changed the looks of one's birth certificate to look more like what was or is a Baptismal Certificate. I believe that I remember them as being a substitute for a birth certificate but I'm not sure if it was for all sects of the Christian religion. Anyway, years ago these birth certificates appeared more like a photo copy of one...unless it was just mine that did so. Well over the years, this piece of paper, having been folded enough times, is now in four pieces. I thought it was time to get a copy (which I don't think will be a copy of the original).

Time to do a search online and get the options. If I do this all online, it will cost me the $15 for the piece of paper, about the same amount to have it checked out at Vital Records, plus the cost of shipping.

Another option is for me to obtain the application by calling 311 and either sending it in or going directly to the office in lower Manhattan. Since I have to go to the same area to get license to marry people (I'll tell you about the later), I decided on that option and called 311.

I gave the woman all of the information including my email. I hang up and soon check my email to find the confirmation number but that I'm being sent Adoption papers.

I call again. This time the woman takes down the mailing information and when we get to the "city" part asks me if it's Queens. Now, if you live in New York City or know about New York City, one never writes, "Queens, New York". I told her the town and when she reads it back says, the town, Queens, New York". I am certainly going to make a call to 311 as I am curious as to whether this is being outsourced!!!

For those of you who don't know...you cannot call a city agency directly. You have to call 311 and that person will give you either the information or connect you to someone who you can complaint to, etc. You can best believe that these people have access to online information and do not know that answers to anything!

Back to the last call. She gives me the confirmation number to write down. I ask her if she could simply email me. She tells me that she can't do that because she finished closing up the information that I gave her. I asked her why she didn't ask me for my email address and didn't have an answer but somehow got around it because in actuality, she didn't want to have to reopen another thing to redo getting the info.

I will follow up on this to let all know as to what I did receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment