Wednesday, October 10, 2018

LIC-A DISCOVERS RAINFOREST ART FOUNDATION IN THEIR OWN BACKYARD


Artists are abundant in the areas of Long Island City and Astoria. Long Island City Artists, (LIC-A), a non-profit organization is based out of Plaxall Gallery, a 12,000 square foot gallery that opened in 2016. Neither Board member and artist Nancy Gesimondo, or artist Elsie Apacible realized that there was an arts foundation in their own backyard, namely the Rainforest Art Foundation until they were invited to the opening reception of an exhibit, 80 and Still Going Strong. Running through November 27, the focus is on artists over the age of 80 that are still active.  

 
What were their reactions to the gallery and meeting both Marlene and James Yu? “It was such a wonderful surprise to visit this gem of an art space amidst an industrial block of warehouses and a carwash,” said Gesimondo. “One can easily walk right by the simple modern three story building.  There is no obvious banner announcing its presence. Its understated soft white facade is punctuated by large decorative gates painted a cheerful chartreuse. Entering the building I sensed I was about to discover something very special.”

“James and Marlene Yu were so warm and welcoming. James immediately greeted me and my guest, fellow LIC artist Elsie Apacible, and he showed us to the buffet. There were several large round tables filled with artists and friends laughing and enjoying a meal. It was like being at an intimate family gathering. It was amazing to meet the artists, to see their work and learn of their long and accomplished careers.”

“Marlene was so friendly and vibrant.  After dinner she led us up to her studio on the third floor.  We packed into the small elevator totally unprepared when the doors opened to a vast open planned studio filled with several enormous paintings. Marlene's work is a joyful expression of her love of nature. Her color palate is as lush and lovely as nature itself, from the cosmos to the depths of the ocean and everything in between.  It was absolutely astonishing to comprehend how this petite woman created work of this scale.  Her many decades of making art is evident in the amount of paintings on display and on large movable walls that she herself pulls back and forth to show us one after another of her gorgeous paintings.” 

“I am delighted that both James and Marlene have asked me to curate an exhibition with LIC artists who also share a passion for nature and preserving the environment.  Elsie and I are looking forward to working with them soon. As a curator and board member of LIC Artists I can think of several artists whose work would be in harmony with the exhibition goals of the Rainforest Art Foundation.  LICA is very happy that discussions are underway for an upcoming exhibit.”
Elsie Apacible shared her reactions as well. “It was an amazing event as if my relatives got together; warm and welcoming. James and Marlene are an amazing host and hostess. Good team. It was a wakeup call for me to aim bigger, in terms of my artwork. Marlene is an inspiration. When we went to her gallery/studio, the amount of artwork that was displayed was mouth watering and jaw dropping. I almost could not believe how a tiny woman could make such an enormous amazing pieces. AMAZING work; both charged and full of energy and somehow put me to shame when I feel lazy and re-evaluate my work and accomplishment. I immediately put something in my canvas as soon as got home a small piece that could remind me of my experience with them.”
“I also hope that we can entice them to share the space for LIC Artists for few selected events as they are so concentrated on their goals in preserving the rainforest. As mine and Nancy's observation, the building is way too low key for the amount of energy and intention of the foundation. I am sure, we can contribute to give awareness for the same cause and maybe raise funds, or even for social reason because these people are so great.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment