Thursday, May 6, 2010

McCORMICK & SCHMICK'S TASTING









I decided to "go into the city" today. You'd think I didn't live in New York City when I say that. Whether you live in one of the four other boros of NYC or even in the tri-state area, it means MANHATTAN. I was spending the day with my friend Joanna and it was time to chow down for lunch. When it comes to midtown Manhattan the only place I could think of is McCormick & Schmick's as they have the freshest seafood going.

Executive Chef Christopher Sellati always seems to come up with some fantabulous items for the menu. I simply said, "Chris, bring it on. I want to do a tasting" Servers Megan Davis and Scott Woltz got the word from Chris and the menu items appeared.

We began with an amuse bouche of a this thin slice of rare filet mignon with wild mushrooms. That was followed by beer battered soft shell crab with a mango aioli. The crab was perfectly cooked to have the bit of crunchiness on the outside while retaining the juiciness of the not so tiny crab.

Next came the Ahi Seared Rare that was served with a Yuzu Vinaigrette, a grapefruit citrus flavor with Aisan influences. There's a wasabi dressing, Asian slaw, some fried won-tons and avocado salsa.

The tummy yummy continues with juicy and un-fishy (you know what I mean) Steamed Wild Halibut. It's steamed in a cilantro lime broth. Capture that flavor in your mouth. Let's add that that halibut is surrounded by fresh asparagus and colossal lump crab meat!

Yes, there's more! Grilled Mahi-Mahi sitting atop...get ready...a mound of sweet potato-crab hash that's surrounded by a butter BBQ sauce and then topped with a fennel salad. Wow...all of those taste buds are dancing the horah!

They have a new dessert on their menu that resembles a Smores! It starts with a walnut brownie, topped with Rocky Road Ice Cream, housemade marshmallow that gets toasted and a graham cracker. It's also surrounded by nuts...just like Joanna and myself.

I thought that this was a great idea until another dessert appeared. OMG! This chocolate hazelnut mousse is surrounded by a group of chocolate (I think) meringue roll-ups with some hazelnut mousse in them. Not for those who dislike hazelnuts. This is absolutely the perfect dessert that full of flavor, texture and "airiness" due to the absence of cake. There's nothing to chew. It all melts on your tongue and slides around those happy little taste buds.

I think I might be able to get Chef Chris on my next radio show!

No comments:

Post a Comment