Tuesday, February 10, 2009

JPD Program at Giants Stadium

Although the New York Sharks women's professional football team hosted the JPD (Junior Player Development)Program the last two years, this was the first time that I went...no, I'm neither between the ages of 13 and 17 nor interested in learning how to play flag or any other sort of football. I went to watch. It was a two-day event. I was present for the first day.

There they were...well over 100 girls at this free clinic. Both present and former Sharks players were on hand to do the coaching. When introduced I should have said that I was number "oy" and played the position of "Brokenback".

The kids went through several drills, talks on subjects such as life skills on and off the field ending each day with actual flag games. It is amazing as to what the NY Sharks players can accomplish in one day, let alone how these young girls must have felt.

I'm not sure...and I will find out in the near future...but the experience of these girls ranged from never participating in any team sport to a set of twins who play tackle football on what is a boys high school football team.

While this was going on, webmaster Steve Mark was rolling his camera and Taya Wyss, who represents a group called...something like Wives and Girlfriends of the Giants, was interviewing players, coaches, parents, myself, and especially Andra Douglas, who was responsible for this yearly event. James Dockery was snapping away on Saturday and Amber Hopkins caught the action on Sunday. More about this to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment