Friday, August 27, 2010

TOURING ROCHESTER, NY









Having seen some suburbs it was time to get to the culture district area of Rochester and check into the Strathallan Hotel. I was in one of their suites with a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, living room area and bedroom that was probably larger than some apartments in Manhattan. There was a structure that separated the bed area from a couch that faced a television. The walk in closet was large enough to fit a crib and enough places to put your clothing.

With a location on East Avenue, sites such as the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film, Memorial Art Gallery and Rochester Museum & Science Center were within walking distance. However, Esther and Eunice may be spring chickens, but I'm not. I totally took advantage of their free shuttle which will take you up to three miles away from the hotel and pick you up as well...as long as a shuttle is available. Haitham, one of the drivers, seemed to be shuttling me all over. I totally thank him for that!

I took the opportunity to relax in my room before going off to dinner with the editor of one of the newspapers that I write for, Empty Closet. I heard loads of kudos about a Pier 45, located on Lake Ontario in a section called Charlotte.

The weather was fine for sitting outside with the view of the lake and stayed long enough to witness the sunset. We met the owner, Joe Floreano as well as most of the staff when they saw Esther and Eunice at my table.

I ordered Spring Pea Soup with crab meat, a house salad, and Striped Bass. The bass was served with wild rice and broccolini. Dessert involved a peach cobbler with a scoop of peach sorbet and a scoop of freshly made whipped cream. I also got to taste a small malted milk shake. I must say that the food and view is so worth going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment