Sunday, December 18, 2011

BROADWAY: BONNIE AND FLOP

Despite the December 30, 2011 closing, I thought I'd speak my mind. When I attended a performance of the musical Bonnie & Clyde,at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre,I heard much of the audience giving positive feedback to what turned out to be a romanticized view of the infamous Bonnie and Clyde.

The show is based on the movie and gave more detail to the lives of the leads from when they were children in a poor area of Texas, when and how they met, and why they stayed together through it all. I don't have to relate the plot as I'm sure you've seen the movie version.

Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan head the show with music by Frank Wildhorn and lyrics by Don Black. I had no problem with the score, in fact it's now a waste unless you can get a cd somewhere of when it was performed in La Jolla, or on youtube.

There were no huge production numbers since it was not a huge cast. The talent was fine and many of the actors even looked like the historic Bonnie & Clyde folks. At times, movies or photos of the reality version flashed on screens and a half car was on the stage.

I guess I did have a concern that Broadway is making historic killers look good and sitting near the front got a more detail view of the blood and gory. I didn't really think about that as I watched, rather was I enjoying a piece of entertainment and I did. Heck, go get a half price ticket and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment