Thursday, December 1, 2011

WHIRL WITH MERLE AT FAIRWAY MARKET






A new Fairway Market opened in Douglaston, New York, an area in Queens. I was really happy as it is a cross between a big supermarket chain and Whole Foods. They have the best of the best here. There's a butcher station in the meat department as well as items prepacked from the butcher department.

I met with Ray Venezia, the butcher maven. He must be third generation of butchers and more than knowledgeable about the various cuts of meats. He's been on television a few times as well.

He's of the old school of devoted butchers like they had years ago. We had a great chat as we talked not only about the cuts, but also, where the meat comes from. I had never heard of Hereford, Wagyu or Obe beef and organic one.

One of the meats that I got was a piece of pork belly to make my own bacon using my Cameron Smoker, which cooks on the top of the stove. I'm not sure which chips to use so I'll ask. Not that Fairway doesn't have their own smoked bacon.

Anyway, I took several videos.





















No comments:

Post a Comment