Monday, December 30, 2013

CHANGE YOUR DIET RATHER THAN GO ON ONE



“It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life. Feeling good.”   How about a change in your diet for the new year by eating healthier food?  Try going organic for a month or two.   I’m sure there is something you can give up for the extra expense.   

I tend to attach the word “organic” to fresh fruits and vegetables of which is prominent at Fairway Market.  Yes, I was off to the Douglaston store to shop and certainly got in my walking for the day as the organic is not restricted to any one aisle.   There are areas as well as shelves that will have an item that comes in both organic and non-organic such as meats and olive oil (which there is a whole lot of).  

Aisles six and seven are a great start.   Juices, for instance, can be found in two areas, one of which is organic.  Lakewood has a good variety including a pure tart cherry and a super veggie.  Bionature drew me to Peach Nectar that also contained apple juice as a sweetener.   Keep in mind that juices contain a great deal of sugar and less fiber than eating a whole fruit.  That is why there are “juice glasses”.  Add some fruit juice to rooibos tea. 


Since many of us think of juice as part of breakfast, let’s hop over to the organic sections of cereal.   For me, winter means “hot cereal” and I don’t like the instant ilk.   Arrowhead Mills has a seven grain with “high fiber.”  I put salt, butter and a bit of milk in mine, while many people like it sweet.   You can get Brad’s organic maple syrup.  


There are a number of brands of organic “cold” cereals to choose from.  I personally prefer Nature’s Path and do not check the sugar content.  I use a “cereal bowl”.   My favorite is one with flax seed and red berries…to add Fairway’s organic milk.  That brings me over to the organic area of the dairy aisle which also has organic and vegan frozen foods.

An advantage to buying frozen vs fresh produce is being able to portion it out as you eat it and no waste.  Learning how to freeze “fresh” can also be helpful.  Fresh produce should be blanched and dried.  I like to portion out all of my foods by first wrapping in freezer paper or plastic wrap and then placing them in a freezer bag.   You can wash out the freezer bags as well.  

Woodstock is a good brand for both frozen veggies and fruits, along with at least three more brands. I bought the asparagus as that is one fresh vegetable that goes bad before I can eat all of it.  Compare the brands, compare the prices.

You will rarely if never see a frozen dinner in my freezer.   I have the time, energy and just about every “cooking thing”, including both a NuWave oven and NuWave Precision Indoor Cooktop.   Besides, have you ever looked at the additives and preservatives in these?   I decided on some both for being “ethnic” and using organic produce. 

One brand is actually called Ethnic Gourmet.  Artisan Bistro and Amy’s were two others that interested me.  No “a and p”. Calorie count was pretty low on all and portion size was enough to not overdo.   Although one brand did have something with shrimp, chicken seemed to be the only other protein used in these.   I’m guessing that if beef or pork is used then so would preservatives.   Lots of vegan options as well. 







One essential for cooking is broth.   For some reason chicken broth is the most used in cooking, even if you are not preparing fowl.  Brads has an organic without fat.  



Gotta have dessert.  Chatfield cocoa powder is just that.  It is not processed with alkali to modify the color and give a milder taste.   Flavorganics extracts had an almond that uses organic alcohol as well.   Rapunzel organic corn starch.  Fairway organic milk.   Organic sugar.  Combine cocoa powder, sugar, milk and extract in a pot.  Cook and stir.  While it’s cooking make a mixture of corn starch and cold water to make a paste.   Stir into mixture when the liquid is hot to thicken it.   The result is a chocolate-almond pudding.  



One area had organic dried fruit.   What is the difference between plums and prunes?  Nothing, really.  They changed the name to appeal to a younger group that associates prunes with elderly constipation.   I found Made In Nature to have both no added sugar or sulfates. 



After obtaining these items I decided to check out the pet food aisles of which one area had the “special” cat foods.   I wondered if my finicky cats would even care about their food being organic.  Newmans  (Paul is actually a relative of mine) and Castor were two of the brands.   So far my cats do appreciate it.  Then again, I can put just about any cat food in front of them and they will gobble it up.   I’ll stick to my own diet change for now. 

As for the word’s to the song in the beginning…the song is entitled “Feeling Good” from the Broadway show The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd”. 




No comments:

Post a Comment