Wednesday, January 18, 2012

ACCESS-A-BASH

New York City has something called Access-A-Ride that entitles to people with physical disabilities to use MTA vehicles vs the bus and/or subway. For the price of public transportation ($2.25) you can be transported to any place within the five boroughs. The MTA employs what looks like shuttle buses and taxis that bear the name Access-A-Ride. However, with the number of people needing the use, the MTA run Access-A-Ride opts for private taxi companies as well. Due to a physical condition, I was able to get this. They have "vouchers" and may give me two car services to choose from of which I call directly. If they are choosing a car service, they go through a service which does the choosing. Another words, I may be getting picked up by a shuttle (which most likely has other passengers), taxi (which may also be picking up other passengers)or a car service.

This day my pick up time was 10:19 a.m. I got a phone call at 9:35 from the driver asking if I could be ready in a few minutes as he first had to pick up a passenger in Brooklyn who was also going to Manhattan. I was not ready and said that I could be ready in 15 minutes.

We agreed on 9:55 and I walked out of my house to see a car service with no logo. The driver did open the door, but did not make any attempt to ask if I required assistance or wait until I got in to close the door. He didn't say anything (they are supposed to ask for your $2.25 (exact) and give you a receipt either before the drive or at the destination. Once my door was closed he just took off.

He had started a conversation on his hand held cellphone and continued to do so as he drove off. I could tell that it was a person call as he was speaking in a foreign language. I wanted him to get off the phone since the Taxi and Limousine Commission had published a "passengers rights" list that included the driver not talking on the any cellphone. The law in New York is that drivers cannot talk on a hand held cellphone when driving. I interrupted by saying, "Don't you want my money"? He continued to talk, put his hand out and as I placed a bunch of change in his hand, just dropped it in between the two front seats and continued to talk. I then said, "You're not supposed to talk on a cellphone".

Well, the man went berserk! "WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? LET THE COPS CATCH ME. I DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU...." and further use of the word "fuck" continued. He then pulled over to the side of the street (where he would be blocking traffic) and said, "GET OUT OF THE CAR!" He later told me that if I called to complain that he would "hunt me down". He then at one point says that I need to walk up straight and that if I weren't no nasty my problem wouldn't exist. At one point he was speeding at 70 mph on the highway (50 speed limit)

I requested his identification and name. He told me to tell the person I complained to that his name is "Trouble".

When the other two people came in the car, he was suddenly so nice to them. I did voice as to what happened just in case there was a problem prior to getting to my destination and someone would have at least heard about it.

Once I got home (I didn't have the time or opportunity to call the correct persons to complain to) I called Access-A-Ride who gave me a company and phone number. I not only gave them the info but asked the guy's name. I mean, after all, he has my name and address. Mooteram Lalbachan.

Now, according to the person I complained to, he is to have his license pulled and will file a complaint to the Taxi and Limo Commission on my behalf. He will get back with me on this. I will follow up on this.

Here are the rights

*
Ride in a car that is clean, in good condition, and has passed all required inspections;
*
Be driven by a TLC-licensed driver in good standing whose license is clearly displayed;
*
A safe and courteous driver who obeys all traffic laws;
*
A quiet trip, free of horn-honking and audio/radio noise;
*
Receive a fare quote from the dispatcher and pay that amount for your ride (unless the trip changes);
*
A driver who does not use a cell phone while driving (hands-free phones are not permitted);
*
A smoke and scent free ride;
*
Air-conditioning or heat on request;
*
Working seatbelts for all passengers – please use them!
*
Not share a ride, unless you want to;
*
Be accompanied by a service animal;
*
Decline to tip for poor service.

No comments:

Post a Comment