Friday, January 27, 2012

BOB'S RED MILL ROCKS


While I was shopping at Fairway Market, I noticed a line of grain products that almost had as much variety as their coffee beans. The thing about Bob’s Red Mill is that most of the products are non-gluten. I am sensitive to wheat and also know that wheat breaks down to sugar in the body. I selected a bunch and now I’m experimenting.

I enjoy a hot cereal during the winter months choosing an 8-grain of stone ground corn, oats, brown rice, soy beans, oat bran, millet, barley, sunflower seeds and flaxseed. When I cook it up I add sea salt, butter and milk. Loved it!

Most curious about a chocolate cake mix with the ingredients of: evaporated can juice, unsweetened cocoa, garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, whole grain white sorghum flour, fava bean flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt and cream of tartar. Being a chocoholic I added more cocoa, a bit more sugar and sour cream having already added milk, butter and eggs. Tasted just great!

When my mom made split pea soup I didn’t care for the texture as it was more like chicken soup with split peas. I like a thick pea soup. I had gotten a quart of Fairway’s ready-made matzoh ball soup having half to taste the matzoh balls (excellent consistency) and chicken. Since the soup already had carrots and onions, I added Pea Flour. It’s like buying instant pea soup without the flavor.

My next adventure is concocting gnocchi using their organic unbleached white flour with their potato flour (great for thickening soups as well) and topping it off with Fairway’s tomato sauce (which turns out to be a great salsa as well).

I have a new bread machine and Bob’s has loads of bread mixes. Haven’t made any as yet, but looking forward to the cinnamon raisin. I see that they have a mix for pizza crust. Another experiment as I will use a combo of their white flour and beer. Bake the crust and when almost done add the toppings and put it back in my NuWave Oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment