Monday, January 2, 2012

ST. PAUL ENDING

















I could see the St. Paul Cathedral from my window. I'm certain that the architect is just fabulous both on the outside and inside. I wanted to view a synagogue that had a history. It was Mount Zion Temple on Summit Avenue that drew me. As it turns out Mount Zion Hebrew Congregation is the first Jewish temple in all of Minnesota and established even before Minnesota became part of the United States. It was designed by Erich Mendelsohn. The Reform Synagogue does not look as if it were built and founded in 1856. "A first glance at the bold sweep of the building and its irregular outlines, at the austere towers, and another at the simplicity of glass, brick and wood of the interior, speak of today rather than of the past."

My tour involved a description of the architecture as well as historic pieces and art in the forms of paintings and glass stained windows that were placed in front of rather than in the window itself.

The day continued with lunch at another historic site, the Lexington Restaurant at Grand Avenue. An original pub from the 1930's, I was able to detect the elegance and sophistication. Chicken and Wild Rice Soup preceded my entree of Walleye with asparagus.

I have a 2 p.m. showing of the Omnivision of Amazon set at the Science Museum of Minnesota. I love watching just about anything in Omnivision. Skipped a tour of the museum for a tour of Wabasha Street Caves, located at 215 Wabasha Street South.

These caves are above ground and said to be haunted. They used to grow mushrooms here so they have one entranceway to a room in the shape of a mushroom. Site of former St. Paul gangsters, tours are offered to include another about the hauntings.

A second evening was spent at Covington Inn, a bed a breakfast on Harriet Island. What makes this b&b different is that it is a buoyed and buffered floating boat on the Mississippi River with a view of the skyline of downtown St. Paul. The boat is trimmed stem to stern in mahogany, brass and bronze. I bedded down in the Masters Quarters, a suite on the second floor accessible by spiral stairs. Three sides of windows and a terrace. "Lobby" has the dining area and living room.

I was hoping to take a boat ride thinking that the Padelford Packet Boat Company was going afloat while seeing a play called Escanaba in da Moonlight put on by Flying Pig Productions using local talent. Cute show and an ending to my days in St. Paul.

For more information, go to www.visitsaintpaul.com

No comments:

Post a Comment