Saturday, July 17, 2010

DINING AT THE HOTEL







I met Michael Blahuta, the food and beverage manager who gave me the info about the food and Velvet Glove restaurant. It just happened that the few days before arriving I had my favorite Filipino food delivered from Mama Meena's Family Restaurant in Woodhaven. Coincidenctally the feature special menu of the month was "Experience the Philippines". Kyle, the chef of the evening, sent out a more than muse bouche of shrimp and smoked salmon topped with caviar. I ordered an appetizer of Pansit; chicken and shrimp with snow peas, cabbage, celery and carrot in a chicken broth with vermicelli noodles, scallions and sesame oil.

Rellenong Manok, is Cornish hen stuffed with chorizo, olives, raisins, edam cheese and hard boiled egg service with "fresh local market vegetables."

Dessert was a Leche Flan of sweet custard with caramel and fresh berries. I enjoyed this particular flan as it was a bit thicker than usual.

The food was tasty and savory but did not compare to the home-style cooking at Mama Meena's.

Esther and Eunice joined me to partake in the meals and had their photo taken with Kyle.

Lunch is served in their lounge area. I wanted to taste their local fish, pickerel. I had it beer-battered and fried with sweet potato fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment