Saturday, July 3, 2010

JUST GETTING TO NORFOLK VA

I called a car service called Blue Lane. Now, I'm no spring chicken, even though Esther and Eunice are. This guy Ram..pulls up and simply sits there. He doesn't ask if I need assistance with my bags. He doesn't even get out of the car to either put what I have in the truck or even get out to open the door. As the car is moving I ask if the air conditioner is on. He tells me to feel the air coming out in the front. Yes, he expects me to bend over and reach to feel the air. He says the the air conditioner in the car was just fixed. We continue traveling and I say nothing. He simply keeps on talking about the air conditioner being on and at one point asks if I want to feel his glasses. I tell him. "I got it. There's nothing more to say." As we continue there is a point when he turns on the fan of the air conditioner and doesn't acknowledge that he did so and it was the problem. We arrive at the airport and again he makes no attempt to assist or even get out of the car. He gives me a look when I ask him for the full change. I tell him why he's not getting a tip. Why should I tip him for doing nothing?

Delta. Not my choice of airlines. We board the plane and they make their usual announcements ending with, "We will be in the air shortly." It's at least fifteen minutes after the announcement and we did not move from the gate, nor does anyone attempt to announce why. We finally take off about a half hour after the scheduled take-off.

We arrive in Norfolk, taxi and just sit near the gate waiting for a "parking spot". No announcement, though. We finally get to the gate and prior to opening the doors they announce that if you have luggage that was taken to cargo due to there not being enough room, to stand to the side when you get out. No one is getting off the plane even though the doors are open. We finally start to get off when the cart with all that luggage gets there. So why the farkin' announcement?

Wait, it gets better for when I go home. Due to some difficulties with my body and long haul to gate, I requested a wheelchair. Skycap is great and so is person who tended to me with wheelchair. I am wheeled to gate and placed in area of "VIP" or something like that. Woman at desk announces pre-boarding but does not say anything about those who require extra time. A man in a wheelchair is brought through along with his family. I still sit there in the wheelchair and ignored. I had to hobble up to her and ask, "Why do you think I'm sitting in that wheelchair?" She looks dumbfounded. I make my way to the plane and have to climb the stairs. Airline person is waiting at the top but does not ask if I need assistance even though it looks quite obvious that I'm having difficulty.

I get up there and relate to her about wheelchair. She asks if I require a wheelchair when I get off and I agree. Guess what? No wheelchair is waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment