Sunday, July 18, 2010

WINNIPEG: A NIGHT AT THE THEATRE



I leave the hotel and board a Unicity taxi telling the driver that I'm going to Kildonan Park. He is a bit confused as to where it is and I tell him that I don't know since I don't live here in Winnipeg. It's at Kildonan Park that the Rainbow Stage Theatre is located and where I will be seeing a performance of Rent. He continues to drive for a long time as I am telling him that I'm going to an outdoor theatre to see a play. As we approach the park I could see a sign that says, "Rent..Rainbow Theatre" and finally a sign that states that Rent is sold out posted at the entrance.

He drives into the park and keeps on going asking me where it is. There comes a point that I see cars parked along the side of the road which would indicate to me that considering a sold out performance and if one were to keep on going on that road one would wind up at the Rainbow Stage. I told him that I needed to go to where the box office is located. Instead, he stops at a sign that reads, "Pavillion". It is there that he makes a left and I'm thinking that he knows a short cut to the box office.

He passes the area and stops at the Pavillion where there is obviously nothing going on and tells me that "this is what I want". I had already hinted that the theatre was most likely near where the people were parking on the side of the road and walking towards somewhere. Meanwhile, the meter is ticking away. I insist that the Pavillion is NOT where I want to go and that the venue is an outdoor theatre. He now pulls out a map. He says he knows where it is and drives out of the park, makes a u-turn and goes back into the park.

I again talk about the cars parked on the side of the road and as he continues into the park he stops where the Pavillion sign is and pulls over. He says that he will ask someone. We are sitting there as cars are slowly passing by. I was waiting for him to roll down his window and nothing was happening. "Are you going to ask someone?" You have to know that at this point my brain was actually saying, "You farkin idiot! Is it not logical that if you continue you will find the entrance to the theatre?" I remained calm as he said, "Do you think it's along this road"? WHAT???? Has his brains turned to shit?

Now you have to understand that nothing stopped him from calling into the company and simply asking. Is it a male thing or just something beyond stupidity? We finally get to the theatre where he drops me off across the street from the box office. Needless to say, I called the company the next day and spoke with the manager.

As for the show, the performance was great! Nothing short of as if I saw it on Broadway...which I didn't. The only problem is being there in the summer and the mosquitoes! I brought bug spray, which I borrowed from the Gold Floor. David thinks of everything!

Esther and Eunice enjoyed the show as well. Joan and Dwight Embleton were seated next to me. Joan is the Executive Director of the Victor Mager Adult Education Training with the board of ed. Dwight is a Sales Representative for Alphi Apparels. They were gracious enough to drive me back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment