Saturday, January 12, 2013

BAD HOBBIT



According to sources.  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey follows title character Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman), who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen), Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage). Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever... Gollum (Andy Serkis). Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ...a simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.”

It is necessary to say that I have nil when it comes to background on this movie or anything related to it.  Therefore I am simply going to tell you what I liked and didn’t like.   Being a bit on the positive side, let’s talk about what I liked.  

I saw this movie in 3D at the AMC theatre in Fresh Meadows (190th and the LIE).   So to begin with, seats are reserved and with an early showing before noon and during the week, I pretty much had my pick of spots.   Just in case you haven’t read, these seats are plush, leather recliners, making it quite easy to fall asleep and yes, I did at parts.  

The movie itself seemed excellent as far as cinematography, acting, and story.   Great special effects! Anyone who is into this ilk will most likely enjoy the characters as well as the “excitement” of the battles.   At one point when I thought there was a happy ending…oh that’s the negative.

A fine beginning as it appeared that I would be enjoying a pleasant and cute movie.  OMG! Most every scene was violent with swords and ugly or creepy creatures!   The Hobbit is being shown in both regular and 3-D and as with all the movie theatres, you pay extra.   No matter how many times I see a 3-D movie, I keep trying to grab the butterfly flying in front of me…if you know what I mean.  

No comments:

Post a Comment