Monday, November 30, 2009

Gayest Christmas Pageant Ever


I saw a show last night called, "The Gayest Christmas Pageant Ever". It was opening night at The Actors' Playhouse, located at 100 7th Avenue South in Greenwich Village. Joe Marshall, Writer and Director of this totally fun show, assembled a cast of 24 actors that play over 40 characters in a play within a play.

The show follows a gay community theatre group struggling to put together an annual holiday pageant that winds up being called, "The Gayest Christmas Pageant Ever". Is it? Get ready for this! Jesus is a gay Latino. The Christmas angel is a dyke. Lots of swishing and attitude from some of the guys.

But don't let it fool you. Characters include straight, African American, Christian, Jews, young and old. One of the funniest is a mother with a walker who not only has turrets syndrome but is narcoleptic as well.

I had a photo taken of me with the cast. I guess that it was an opportunity for guests to take photos of the cast as the cameras were snapping a whole bunch. I have a feeling that a lot of folks are going to be wondering which character I played in the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment